9 Effective Ecommerce SEO Tips
9 Effective Ecommerce SEO Tips
Ranking on search engines is not an option but a mandatory crucial task that every webmaster and marketer must undertake. A study by Amazee metrics showed that over 70% of Google users clicked on the first 5 results. Google also reported that over 50% of people who searched for an item later went into a store, out of which 18% made a purchase. It is clear that ranking highly on search engines especially Google is a break or make issue for a business, especially one constrained in market budgets.
Many marketers are often heard to lament about how they have implemented Search Engine Optimization (SEO) but can’t see a corresponding rise in ranking. But there are over 100 metrics by which a website is ranked, and they differ on effectiveness? Which among these SEO tactics will see your website and content rank highly?
1. Publish high-quality content
The mantra ‘Content is King!’ will probably live true forever. The simple fact is that people come to search engines looking for information that is valuable, informative and helpful. Google realizes this is its raison d’etre hence a strong emphasis and preference for ranking pages with high-quality content. What are the tactics to making high-quality content?
• Keyword research – This is working backward to see what your potential website visitors would be searching for on the internet. Lon tail keywords or phrases with 5-8 words have been proven to be more useful e.g. best weight loss tactics after pregnancy
• Search intent- This is getting ahead of your competition by spotting trends before the keyword competition gets stiff. Google Trends is a very useful tool in uncovering these trends
• Optimizing for voice search – Google reports that voice searches will make up over 50% of all searches by 2020.
2. Mobile responsiveness
Mobile web traffic overtook desktop traffic back in 2016. Google has shifted accordingly and gives more preference to mobile-friendly pages. This also makes business sense seeing as it is that over 58% of online shoppers made their purchases on mobile in the last year. Making mobile-friendly content involves;
• Mobile responsive pages for different screen sizes
• Maintaining content as on desktop
• Better web page loading speeds
3. Excellent User Experience (UX)
How long do visitors last on your site? What is the percentage of return visitors? These are some of the pointers to the user experience. This is the overall feel of a website including loading speeds, ease of navigation, site structure, and mobile responsiveness and so on. Some of the tactics in improving UX include
• Better link structures
• Good quality typography
• Good distribution of graphics and white space
4. Site performances
This can be improved by;
• Higher site security -In 2017, Google’s Chrome browser started flagging non-httpss sites as insecure. This is in the face of growing cyber threats including phishy links, drive-by malware downloads, malicious redirects and other threats to web users. Implementing httpss improves site visitor trust.
• Page loading speeds – Ideally under 15 seconds for mobile and 20 seconds for the desktop
• Better redirects using 301 redirects to avoid missing page messages
Links that point back to your content makes it more authoritative. Some tactics here include;
• Guest blog posts
• Free valuable content e.g. industry surveys
• Social mentions
6. Sensible site structures
A simple site structure makes it easy for a visitor to find content quickly. The recommended page depth is 4 pages;
7. Video usage
Mobile users are spending over 60% of their time on social media. It is also projected that over 90% of web traffic will be in video as of the end of 2019. Google is understandably giving preference to video content. A good tactic is to host video on YouTube and embed the links on your website.
8. Implement on-page SEO
These tactics include;
• Meta descriptions
• Product descriptions
• Picture descriptions
• Page titles
9. Deploy Google analytics
Using analytics gives good insight into visitor performance. This helps modify and optimize content depending on visitor patterns. It also gives an overview of site performance and how to improve User Experience.
Deploying effective SEO tactics does not have to be pricey or expensive. The tactics above are free or low cost. Deploying and perfecting them is the best bet to staying top of the ranks in 2019 and beyond.